Speaking at the Television Critics Association summer event on Wednesday in Beverly Hills, California, he adeptly avoided confirming any more about the highly-anticipated eighth season of the hit fantasy show.
But, speaking to Deadline, he said of the upcoming prequel, currently using the working title The Long Night, that: 'There are very strong female characters but it's an ensembles, there is men and women.’
Discussing the show further, Bloys added: 'Jane [Goldman, the prequel's scriptwriter] is a very good writer, we don't want to limit her to writing female leads. There are a lot of very complicated leads in [the pilot].’
Of writing the new series, he noted that Goldman 'did not go into that wanting to answer anything about Game of Thrones; it was the story that spoke to her.’
Bloys confirmed that the prequel will begin production in 2019, refuting claims that filming would begin in October of this year, as he said: 'When I say we're hoping to go into production in 2019, we have to find a director, we have to cast it.’
HBO have previously described the spin-off as: 'Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world's descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour.
'And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secrets of Westeros's history to the true origin of the white walkers, the mysteries of the East, to the Starks of legend … it's not the story we think we know.'